Home Safety


Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless gas and high concentrations of it can be fatal. The main causes of high carbon monoxide concentration in the home are gas fires and boilers that are not burning the gas efficiently. This is the reason that it is compulsory for landlords to have all gas appliances checked once a year and certified.

Make sure your landlord has provided you with an up to date Gas Safety Certificate.  If you haven’t seen one, demand to see it. If there is no certificate the landlord is breaking the law.

If you smell gas, turn off all appliances, and do not use sockets as they can create a spark.  Ensure all engineers carrying out work on appliances in your property are on the Gas Safety Register.

It is also strongly advised not to use gas appliances in ways that they were not intended for and if you have any suspicions that a gas appliance is faulty report it immediately.

Further information can be obtained from the Gas safety advice line 0800 300 363.


By law, your landlord must ensure that the electrical system and any electrical appliances supplied such as cookers, kettles, toasters, washing machines and immersion heaters are safe to use. If any new appliances are supplied your landlord should also provide any accompanying instruction booklets (which should be left with the appliance at the end of the tenancy or returned to the landlord).

There is no statutory requirement to have regular safety checks on electrical equipment as there is with gas, but many landlords will have electrical safety inspections carried out at intervals of up to five years and will provide you with a copy of the certificate. All significant electrical work needs to be carried out by a qualified person. If any electrical appliance or wiring appears to be faulty discontinue its use immediately, turn off the electricity supply and report the problem to your landlord.


In the event of a leak, inform your landlord straight away.  Don’t let problems get worse.  To help:

  • Turn off the water supply at the mains stop tap.  This is usually found under the sink or stairs.
  • Ensure there are no gaps around baths or showers where water can seep.  If water is leaking through a ceiling, do not switch on any lights.  Try to catch water in a bucket.