Tenancy Agreements

There are different types of agreement but, provided the accommodation does not have a ‘resident landlord’, your agreement will normally be one of two types:

Assured Tenancy

With this type of agreement as long as you do not break the terms of the tenancy you may continue to live in the property

Assured Shorthold Tenancy (AST)

This is the most common type of agreement in the private rented sector.  The AST will normally be for a fixed initial term.  It is important to recognise that all reasonable terms in tenancy agreements are legally binding so read the agreement carefully and only sign it if you are comfortable with the conditions. In signing the agreement you commit to paying rent until the end of the initial term, even if your circumstances change and you wish to leave.  If you need advice on understanding the terms of the agreement contact Student Services


An important point to establish is whether each of your group will be expected to sign individual tenancy agreements or whether the whole group is expected to enter into a joint tenancy agreement. If you sign a joint agreement with one or more others, you are all liable for the entire rent. If one person fails to pay, the landlord will expect the rest of the group to make up their share. Equally if one person causes any damage to the property the whole group is liable for any repair costs. It is therefore crucial that you know and can trust all parties to a joint agreement. If one of the group wishes to move out before the end of the agreement the rent must still be paid in full. Most agreements allow you to find another housemate but it is likely that you will have to meet any associated costs such as advertising, taking up references or amending the agreement.