Protect Your Home


The landlord cannot insure your personal belongings and will only have insurance for the building and the landlord’s belongings. Do not assume your contents are insured under other policies, for example a parent’s insurance, as this is not always the case.

Shared houses can be particular targets for burglary and are also at higher risk of fire, so it is important that your belongings are insured. Consider insuring against accidental damage – although it will cost more it might save money in cases of accidental breakage of furniture and equipment or damage to carpets and furniture from spilt drinks.

Be aware that letting agents cannot force you to use their own recommended insurers.


Statistics from the Home Office indicate that 1 in 3 students will be the victim of a crime when in student accommodation.

What can I do?

There are many things you can do so you don’t become a student burglary statistic:

  • Keep windows and doors locked
  • Keep bikes locked and chained
  • Secure garages, sheds and access gates
  • Use timers on lights
  • Make sure alarms and locks work correctly
  • Keep valuables out of sight
  • Mark valuables with a UV pen
  • Don’t leave cards and money lying around
  • Get student insurance for your accommodation
  • Keep important documents secure

There are lots more tips from a range of organisations who can provide you with student safety and security advice.

Further information