Dyslexic & Disabled Students

Dr John Conway

‘Disability’ includes dyslexia and all long-term problems that will affect your studies e.g. mobility, partial loss of sight or hearing that cannot be corrected with glasses or hearing aids etc, permanent medical conditions e.g. diabetes, epilepsy, ME, MS, progressive conditions like HIV-Aids or cancer, mental health conditions like depression, severe anxiety and bipolar disorder.

In all these cases the RAU has an obligation to try to minimise the impact of this on your studies and is committed to ensuring that the appropriate adjustments are made.  We have a Dyslexia/Disability Officer, John Conway, whose role is to provide students with information, advice and guidance, and also to organise any adjustments to the teaching or assessment schedule on your degree programme.

You can visit the Dyslexia/Disability Officer to discuss your situation in total confidence, and he will see how much help and support the RAU can offer, for example, alteration to exams.  You will need to make available some evidence of your disability/dyslexia before any support can be made available.  If you are dyslexic, please bring a copy of an Education Psychologist Assessment carried out after your 16th birthday.  For any other disability, please bring a medical report.

John is located in Cedar Lodge and you can add your name to the list on his office door for an appointment.  Alternatively book an appointment by emailing John john.conway@rau.ac.uk